Bacopa, also known as Brahmi, is a naturally occurring chemical that is extensively used in Ayurveda. It is also known as water hyssop and is used to treat anxiety, depression and other stress-related issues. Brahmi is a herb that grows extensively in India and is used in the preparation of several traditional medicines that are used to treat mental and gastrointestinal disorders.
It is a nootropic that is used to enhance brainpower and can also be used to treat stomach disorders. However, its primary function is to reduce the effects of stress and tension. It can be combined with other nootropic medicines to enhance its effects on the mind. Brahmi is extremely safe and available over the counter. You will not need a prescription for it and can avail the dosage information on the package.
Mechanism of Action
Brahmi is a nootropic that readily crosses the blood-brain barrier. It has high levels of bioavailability and can last in the body for several hours. Brahmi is said to increase certain “good chemicals” in the brain and enhance brain activity.
It is said to protect the brain against harmful chemicals that can alter brain function. It is also used to enhance a person’s cognition and stave off illnesses such as Alzheimer’s. Technically speaking, Brahmi is said to increase the level of Tryptophan Hydroxylase (TPH2), which helps in establishing new connections in the brain. 1
Bacopa, a powerful nootropic, is also said to enhance synaptic communication, which means that the person will be able to receive and synthesize more information. Bacopa also increases the level of serotonin in the brain, which is better known as the happiness hormone.
Bacopa comes with a plethora of health benefits, which makes it an extremely versatile, naturally occurring nootropic. Here is looking at some of its health benefits.
- It is used to promote liver health. As you know, the liver is one of the most important organs in the body as it breaks down food and eliminates toxins from the body. The liver also contains the first line of defense against germs and so, is best to keep it as healthy as possible. Bacopa supplements nourish the liver and make it stronger.
- Bacopa also helps in protecting infants against neonatal hypoglycemia also known as low sugar. Such a condition can negatively impact the baby’s brain and lead to issues with cognition. Research has shown that it reduces the risk of hypoglycemia in infants.
- This supplement is said to help with reducing swelling and redness in the body. Inflammation can occur in any part of the body and Bacopa is said to provide relief from the same.
- Bacopa has been used to control blood pressure. It is crucial to monitor blood pressure, especially at an old age. One effective way to do so is by consuming Bacopa supplements.
- Controlled blood pressure leads to a healthy heart. Heart health should be given primary importance, especially if you wish to take up strenuous exercise regimes.
- The chemicals in this are known for being high in anti-oxidants. Anti-oxidants fight away free radicals in the body. It thereby helps in enhancing immunity and improving the body’s capacity to fight away illnesses.
- Bacopa is also used to avail relief from joint pains. This is especially useful in the case of arthritis and other ailments that result in joint aches.
- This supplement has amazing effects on hair. It is used in several Ayurvedic oil preparations as it helps in strengthening hair roots and adding sheen to hair.
Possible Side Effects of Bacopa
Bacopa is quite a safe drug to consume and does not have too many side effects. However, overusage can lead to the following side effects.
- Bacopa can cause stomach upsets. This is common amongst most Ayurvedic medicines, as they can cause acidity. It is best to not consume Bacopa on an empty stomach and try to drink as much water as possible. If bitterness and discomfort persist then, it is best to stop the supplement and consult a physician to avail a solution.
- In rare cases, this chemical is said to slow down a person’s heart rate. This is especially possible in cases of people who already have a slow heart rate.
- This nootropic is said to have a bitter taste to it. Although this is not a side effect, you might have to mix it in with a little honey to ensure that you are not left with a bitter taste in your mouth.
- Bacopa is said to cause blockages in the urinary tract, which can be quite discomforting. It is best to discontinue the supplement if the discomfort persists.
- It is best for pregnant and lactating women to avoid this supplement, as there are no conclusive results to show that it is safe for them to consume.
It is recommended to consume 500 mg of Bacopa for 12 weeks to enhance brain health and improve cognition. It is ideal to start with a small dose and then increase it as you go. If you are unable to see results, then you can consider stacking it with other nootropics.
Legal Status of Bacopa
The supplement is quite safe and can be bought without a prescription. You can order it in powder or capsule form. Both will work well and help you remain with the best results.