L-Dopa, also referred to as levodopa, is an amino acid that is produced in the brain of humans and animals that can also be produced in plants, such as mucuna pruriens. It is produced by the biosynthesis of an amino acid known as L-Tyrosine, which is present in the brain of most living organisms.
L-Dopa is a vital precursor to the release of many types of neurotransmitters such as DA (dopamine), noradrenaline, and adrenaline (epinephrine). These are what makes our brains healthy and keeps us happy. In its purest form, L-Dopa plays the role of a psychoactive compound that is used to boost the production of DA and related products. It makes for one of the most important compounds in the brain. Although the brain naturally produces this molecule, lower doses of it can cause a person to develop mental issues such as anxiety and depression. It is, therefore, important to make use of supplements to restore balance to the brain.
L-Dopa is extracted and purified from the Mucuna Pruriens plant, also known as the velvet bean, and can be bought over the counter. It is mostly sold without a prescription and is considered a therapeutic supplement.
Mechanism of Action
The supplement is known for its bioavailability and is easily synthesized by the body. It quickly dissipates inside the body and travels to the various organs by crossing the blood barrier. L-Dopa is said to affect the body in many ways including having a positive effect on the hormones and libido. The increase in levels of good feeling enhances hormonal activity.
Extensive research has been conducted by the National Institutes of Health for its potential usefulness in treating particular ailments.
L-Dopa supplements can have a multitude of positive effects on the body, some of which are examined here,
- One of the main effects of the supplement is that it helps in enhancing good feelings in the brain. DA is responsible for a person’s capacity in remaining happy and can help with staving off anxiety and stress.
- L-Dopa is said to help those who suffer from restlessness. Restlessness is a condition where a person is constantly anxious and remains rather fidgety. Consuming this supplement can help to some degree by calming the person down.
- L-Dopa is used by many people who want to improve their sex life, as levodopa is said to improve libido. Regular consumption of this supplement can also help in improving sexual stamina.
- The supplement is also said to enhance physical strength and stamina to a certain extent. Some athletes consume the supplement before a sporting event to enhance their physical stamina. However, it might not be able to considerably improve muscular strength.
- Some reports claim that this supplement can be used to improve overall well-being and can be considered a good replacement for vitamin supplements. However, research is still pending.
Possible Side Effects of L-Dopa
It is evident that all supplements come with their fair share of side effects, and so does L-Dopa. However, these mostly occur when the dosage is not right. Here are some of the side effects of L-Dopa.
- If consumed in the wrong amounts, the product can lead to sleeplessness. Insomnia is not a very favorable side effect and can leave the person feeling extremely fatigued. It is therefore important to consume the supplement in the right amount and not overuse it. Your physician will be able to recommend the right dose for you.
- In some situations it is possible that an excess libido effect could occur. This may involve excessive desire. Dosages should be reduced if this occurs.
- Taking too much of L-Dopa can also cause hair loss. An increase in the level of testosterone can result in the production of DHT, which can bind to the roots of one’s hair and cause them to fall out. It is, therefore, recommended to consume it in recommended doses.
- The supplement can also induce high blood pressure and make the user quite uncomfortable. It is best to consume the recommended dose and not overdo it.
- Excess amounts of the product can result in gastrointestinal bleeding. It is, therefore, important to first consult a physician and consume the recommended dose.
- Over usage might also trigger muscle sensitivity. It is therefore crutial to stay within the recommended dosage.
Most people are recommended a dosage of no more than 500 mg per day. As you know, it is quite important to stay within the limit, and so, it is best to first consult a physician about the dosage.
You must also consider the fact that even 100 mg will be able to produce the same results provided you consume the supplement on a regular basis. You can start off with a lower dose and increase it as you go. This will help you know exactly how much to consume.
The maximum recommended dosage for this supplement stands at 900 mg, but it is recommended to seek advice from a medical practitioner before trying such amounts.
L-Dopa is available over the counter but should be consumed with caution. As you know, an overdose can lead to a number of health consequences. You might not need a prescription for it and can also be ordered online. You will have to follow the recommended dosage to ensure that you avail full benefits of this supplement.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.