Phosphatidylserine is a molecule that is naturally produced by your body, and assists in keeping the brain healthy. This molecule is said to enhance brain activity and makes a person more mentally alert. Your body does not have to produce it on a large scale, as you can easily take advantage of it through food sources. On the other hand, as your body starts to deteriorate, it fails to naturally produce this molecule and brain activity will start to diminish. This may lead to brain disorders associated with aging and is therefore important for people to take their brain health into their own hands.
This nootropic is available in the form of supplements and can be bought over the counter. However, it is important to always a talk to your physician as there is a good chance you will be able to meet the daily requirement through food sources.
In the years immediately following World War II, the supplement was manufactured using animal brains. However, concern over the potential for spread of infection caused companies to change the manufacturing technique by drawing the molecule out from cabbage and soy.
Mechanism of Action
Phosphatidylserine is a molecule that is extremely important in maintaining brain health and assists in enhancing brain activity. Cells are the most important structures inside the body and are primarily break down from the wear and tear of the organs. It is extremely important to ensure that you consume foods that help repair the cells and also promote the formation of healthy ones.
Consuming Phosphatidylserine supplements that work towards enhancing cell build up helps to ensure your body and mind stay healthy. The molecule not only promotes the renewal of new cells but also helps in fixing any issues with the old ones. It also instructs the cells to do their job in order for the body to develop healthy cell function.
The cells in the brain are quite complex and require a lot more effort to rejuvenate. The molecule helps by nourishing these cells and enhancing their capacity in protecting the brain from age related damage.
The supplements are mostly given to people whose bodies do not naturally produce enough of the compound and require a little help in terms of its application inside the body.
- The main function of the supplement is to help reverse age related mental decline to some extent. As you know, with time, the human brain tends to lessen how well it functions on a daily basis. It can affect learning capacity, deteriorate memory and also affect reasoning skills. It is said to help in all of these regards and assists with reversing each one to a certain extent.
- Phosphatidylserine is also said to help athletes beat some of the muscular stress that can develop during routine workouts.
- The supplements are said to enhance athletic performance and improve overall muscular capacity.
- The supplement also helps in improving muscle formation as it enhances cell rejuvenation. If you are trying to rebuild leaner muscles then this supplement might help you in the process.
- The supplement is said to help with the level of hyperactivity related to various illnesses.
Possible Side Effects of Phosphatidylserine
Phosphatidylserine does have the potential for some side effects. It is important to recognize that side effects are a part of almost all supplements and should not be considered as deterrents to consume the supplements.
- It can adversely react with certain prescription medications. It is important to consult a physician first before consuming this supplement, as he or she will be able to better guide you with it.
- Some prescription medications can negatively react with Phosphatidylserine. It is best to check if any of the medicines you are consuming clash with this supplement and talk with your Physician.
- The supplement is also known to impact the effect of some prescription medications on your body so you might have to reduce the dosage slightly after consulting your physician.
- If you are consuming something to counteract your stress and anxiety then it might be important to moderate the dose of the product, as it might have an amplified effect on your mind. You should always consult a physician before mixing the two just to be on the safer side.
The supplement needs to be administered orally. Although research is being conducted with regard to alternative means of delivery for phosphatidylserine, it is best to simply consume the supplements. The recommended dosage for mental health is 100 mg three times a day however, can vary depending on the person’s mental needs.
It is prescribed mostly to older people in need of a solution to their mental concerns. This nootropic is also recommended for people suffering from anxiety and depression, as well as mind disorders associated with aging. The product is said to help with reducing the effects of these mental disorders and can, to some extent, help with reducing anxiety and panic attacks. Then again, it should only be used as a supplementary medicine and not a sure shot cure for these ailments and their symptoms.
Younger people may not need to consume the supplement as they often times can obtain all they need via metabolization of regular food sources. Some people prefer to consume the supplement based on their needs such as just before an exam or a test to enhance their brain activity. Keep in mind that using Phosphatidylserine in this manor will not produce long lasting effects.
The supplement is easily available over the counter and can be bought without a prescription. It is mostly safe to consume except that it might react with certain other strong medications. It is best to consult your physician before you start taking Phosphatidylserine.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.