Uridine (as uridine 5′-monophosphate) is a chemical that is predominantly present in the nucleus of a cell and is 1 of the 5 nucleosides that constitute nucleic acid. The chemical is a very important part of Ribonucleic acid (RNA) and is an indispensable part of the basic cell structure of the nucleus.
Uridine is synthesized in the liver as Uridine monophosphate. This is secreted into the bloodstream, where it serves multiple purposes including cell rejuvenation. Uridine is sometimes found in the bloodstream as Uridine triphosphate and Uridine 5 monophosphate. Apart from the bloodstream, the chemical is also found in breast milk. With its main function being, to enhance brain activity and keep a person’s mind alert.
This chemical is mostly derived through the food that we consume but can also be availed through different supplements. It is important to first consult your physician to ensure that it does not tamper with any existing conditions in the body. Some natural sources of Uridine include sugar cane, beer, yeast, tomatoes and barley. Regular consumption of these foods will ensure that your body’s Uridine level remains constant. This nootropic is related closely to Citicoline.
If you are keen on availing its purported benefits, then the drug is easily available over the counter.
Mechanism of Action
Uridine is considered as one of the leading nootropics in the world because of its ability in helping neurons make new connections inside the brain. This naturally occurring drug is a mental stimulant that enhances brain activity. It is primarily used to enhance memory and is responsible for the synthesis of both old and new memories in the brain. As we know, it is quite important to hold on to old memories, as they will prevent the onset of memory loss.
Lower levels of this chemical in the brain is said to cause both short term and long term memory loss, and can also lead to other mental issues such as loss of cognition and the onset of anxiety.
Uridine helps by strengthening brain cells and assists in holding on to old memories, thereby preventing the onset of diseases like Alzheimer’s or Dementia. Uridine mostly works by enhancing the neuroplasticity in the brain and makes a person more susceptible to combating mental issues that tend to occur as one ages. This neuro-drug is also responsible for phospholipid syntheses that occur inside the brain. It works closely with choline to enhance brain activity and increases a person’s mental alertness.
Uridine mostly works by attaching itself to the lipids in the body and can also form bonds with sugars. The drug is said to enhance the level of dopamine in the brain, which is chiefly responsible for enhancing a person’s ability to feel blissful.
Uridine is bioavailable since it is easily absorbed into the bloodstream and reaches the gut within a few hours of its consumption. It is also responsible for translating instructions given out by DNA onto proteins. Many scientists have rightfully named it as a miracle drug due to its capacity in reversing brain age and enhancing its intellectual powers.
- One of the most significant effects of the drug is to enhance cognition. It assists in increasing a person’s cognitive behavior. If the person has undergone some brain trauma, then the drug can be used to reverse said trauma to a certain extent and increase his or her mental capability.
- The supplement has shown promising results in Alzheimer’s patients. Although, it is important to note that it will only work in cases of mild Alzheimer’s.
- This nootropic can protect the brain and make it slightly more susceptible to combat memory loss. This mostly occurs when a person undergoes extreme mental stress.
- Uridine is used to reduce internal inflammation and can promote positive muscular health. This neuro-drug is commonly used by athletes to fix issues within their muscles.
- Many people consume the supplement to help with their heart condition, as the drug is said to reverse heart ailments to a large extent. Uridine triphosphate is said to reduce the risk of heart attack and improve the health of the heart.
- The drug is said to be effective in reversing osteoporosis to a substantial extent. However, it is best to use it as a supplement to regular medication.
- This supplement is now being administered to people suffering from anxiety, depression and who are under extreme stress. It is said to control the secretion of cortisol to a large extent thereby reducing the onset of stress and anxiety.
- Uridine is used to treat fibrosis and can be coupled with regular fibrosis medicine.
- This naturally occurring drug helps to improve short-term memory and makes a person more alert. It can also be utilized to treat long-term memory loss but does not work as well as some other medicines that are utilized for the same purpose.
- It helps in increasing a person’s attention span and makes for a great supplement to enhance cognition.
- The drug is said to help with “brain fog” and can make a large impact in reversing the effects of cloudy thoughts.
Possible Uridine Side-Effects
Uridine does have some possible side effects, as do most supplements. Here is looking at some of them in detail.
- Studies have shown that Uridine can cause the onset of certain types of cancer and also contribute towards the spreading of certain tumors
- The supplement is also said to cause heart disease. Heart disease is a common side effect of Uridine overdose, especially if it is consumed without proper guidance. Although no cases of heart attacks have been reported, it is best to consume the drug under prescription from a medical practitioner.
- Milder side effects of the supplement can cause fever, diarrhea and also induce palpitations. These generally occur within 30 minutes of consuming the supplement and fade away within an hour or so.
- There have also been reports of headache and body aches, but there is no conclusive proof for the same.
- One aspect of Uridine that makes it somewhat unsuitable for people in dire need of a solution to their health issues is that it does not work immediately on the body and takes its own time to work.
There is no set dosage for the drug and varies from person to person. Some people consume 500 mg of the drug while some others consume 1,000 mg. It can be administered once or twice a day depending on the structure and need of the body. In combination with certain other nootropics, Uridine helps in enhancing brain plasticity and increasing dopamine levels in the brain.
The nootropic is available over the counter and can be bought without a prescription. It is said to be a safe drug considering it does not adversely react with other drugs in the market. However, it might amplify the effects of certain other drugs such as the ones prescribed for Alzheimer’s.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.